Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bruce Mau Incomplete Manifesto for Design.

After reading Bruce Mau's Incomplete Manifesto for Design, the following points i believe would be useful in my growth as a designer and future designs. 1. Allow events to change you, 8. Drift, 18. Stay Up late, 20. Be careful to take risks, 25. Don't clean your desk, 29. Think with you mind, and 33. Take Field Trips. It is all these things that are important to my growth and many others. These are all about expanding myself and not doing the same things over and over again. What do you learn from that? Absolutely nothing. These ideas are all useful in creating bigger and better projects down the road. By allowing myself to Drift, i can and would be able to write aimlessly and sooner or later i will be able to stumble upon an great idea. Staying up late, and Not cleaning off my desk go hand in hand, for the reason that I think randomly when I am up late. It is just a matter of having my sketchbook out and writing the ideas down. As for having a messy desk, I believe i would find something on the desk that I could incorporate into a later design, whether it was a headline or an image on a piece of paper. The only way to grow and learn from mistake is by taking risks, otherwise we don't change. If I think with my mind rather than with the electronics, I can put anything into works, and make the idea happen. If we limit ourselves to what we can do with a program, our ideas become more confined. Lastly, I believe that field trips are a great way to come up with new ideas, whether it going to the zoo(which is the 1st thing that popped into my head, when thinking of the idea of field trips) or the beach. Going new places would help stimulate my brain to combine different aspect of my life. The only way to expand myself, is by going outside my comfort zone, and going to places I have yet to go.

2 comments:

  1. I do have to agree with you response on Bruce Mau's Incomplete Manifesto for Design. A great part of being an artist (in whatever field chosen) is opening yourself up to new ideas and not limiting yourself. All ideas stem from some where, wether its from past projects or newly discovered. The more you are willing to take in your surrounds, new found knowledge, and experiences the better artist you will become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The messy desk is difficult for me...and I think because it touches on something bigger, deeper, that lies behind that: our cultures guilty feelings about not being obsessively regimented by nature.

    Our very nature is inherently dirty and messy...yet we fight against it and try to maintain a perfectly orderly existence. Ironed shirts and bleach wipes go against the essence of creativity, which (for me) originates in everything inside me that is UNorderly. Interesting post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete